Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Really Workin' it

Oh boy, I sure did!!

At first I planned to do an entire hour of cardio on the elliptical trainer, but if I were to do that I knew I would have to back off on the intensity I generally like to do. And of course I didn't - it really almost feels impossible for me to take it easy. So I did 45 minutes of cardio. I already forget what my average heart rate was. I started off with the machine's interval program, but it's high intensity is not going FASTER which is what I like to do, but makes it harder to do. Ugh, so I go slow because its hard. I much prefer my way which I switched to after the first 17 minutes. Generally I'm in the 130 +/-5 strides per minute range - when I kick up to my own high intensity, I'm in the 160's, maybe 170 and I feel like I'm zooming!! and my machine makes more noise then, and if people were to glimpse at me they would really think I'm tough. Ha! I do this for 90-120 seconds, my hearit rate is way up at this point and then I wait for my HR to return to under 140, I wait a minute and then I do the whole thing again, usually takes about 4 minutes. So.... that's what I like to do on the elliptical trainer.

Then I did a full body strength training workout. Let's see, for all these exercises I did 2 sets of 10-15 reps. I did 3 different chest exercises, 3 different back exercises, 4 different leg exercises, 2 different Ab exercises, 2 different bicep, tricep and shoulder exercises... and I think that's it. I rock! I really like weights... I mix it up, some machines, some dumbbells, some stretch bands and some plate machines... for instance I like dumbbells for biceps and shoulders - not machines. I like machines for legs - I don't mind holding dumb bells for lunges and squats. I generally don't use machines for Ab work (but I did try one today and I did like it) but the whole point with weights is to mix it up. and I do. I should next work out with weights Friday or Saturday. We'll see.

No comments: