Sunday, January 04, 2009

Don't do what I do...

When I was hiking with the kids on Friday, we were near Radnor Lake and it was very lovely to look at. So I was looking. Then I wanted to point something out to the kids, and I was looking to my right as I kept walking. Well, it took about 3 seconds for me to trip over something and down I went. It was a very dramatic fall as I really went into the air before hitting the ground. Luckily for me not 3 minutes before then I thought to myself, wow, this is such a nice soft trail! And of course when I fell there was a couple walking towards us and they saw me do this whole thing. They asked if I was alright, Lila was concerned for me, but I told everyone I was fine - more embarrassed than anything else. I got up and brushed myself off. No big deal.

That was Friday afternoon.

Saturday morning I noticed my left shoulder was sore. I couldn't figure out how or why it would be sore. and it progressively got worse as the day went on. I really thought I caught myself more with my right hand when I fell, but I do remember brushing off both my hands, so I must have caught myself with both hands. I guess I must have landed on my left hand more or did so in a strange way that my left shoulder is getting the brunt of that fall now. Ugh.... last night I took some anti-inflammatories, and this morning it is about 70% of what it was yesterday.

I only feel it when I move my shoulder and my range of motion isn't limited that much, but then I am being a baby and not moving it much. My strategy is to totally take it easy on that shoulder until it feels normal. Last night I did the heating pad with it some. I think that helped some.

I plan to start strength training this week at the gym so definitely shoulder work is out of the question. We'll see how much upper body ANYTHING I can do. Bicep curls and tricep kickbacks I know I could do... chest presses I'm not so sure... Lat pull downs don't seem like a good idea. But we'll see...

I don't plan to let this injury keep me from working out. I will simply do what I can.

I did take it easy yesterday, I know my body needed that. Maybe I'll fire up one of my old-old-old Jane Fonda video workouts... its actually ON TAPE. I said old three times... I used it alot 10 years ago, it's probably between 12 and 15 years old. Oh well. Anything on VHS seems really old now.

No comments: